[openbeos-cdt] Re: Replicants

  • From: Eddy Groen <eddyspeeder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 13:47:07 +0100

Thanks for your thoughts on this, Michael.

1. The Desktop is mostly covered with work-windows. So I see no real use
> in placing them somewhere on the Desktop. Having them stacked up in
> some user configurable container would be nice IMHO. Which leads to ...

Combined with various workspaces, I still would see merit in for example
having SoundPlay embedded somewhere near the top or bottom of the window.
You can always switch to a windowless workspace.

2. Provide a means of not covering that area. (c.f. generall discussion
> if the Deskbar should be covered by maximized windows) Btw, I really
> like that we introduced that in ZETA. (Or was it just internal for us?
> Forgot.)
> An idea whould be to "extend" The Deskbar with a user-configurable
> replicant shelf apart from the one right below the menu.

The windows not overlapping the Deskbar was standard in ZETA. Out of a
custom that evolved from this very feature, in OSX my browser window does
not fill the entire screen but leaves a Deskbar-wide strip open :-)

A container (assuming you mean a solid pane colored like the rest of the
Deskbar) seems a little too heavy for me. Though it might just work if it
were transparent. The only problem I see with this proposal is that the
Deskbar size is dynamic. By that I mean it expands when there are more
applications open.

If you open a new application, will (the container with) all the replicants
move down a couple of pixels, because the application listing has become
longer? Or do the replicants stay in place (which I think is better)? But in
that case, what should the system do when this list becomes too long and
starts overlapping replicants? Should the replicants that are about to get
overlapped go in hiding some way?

IIRC, replicants were indeed designed to do other things, among others allow
applications to allow doing some things internally. But like you said; I've
never seen a real life example of that.

Eddy