[openbeos-cdt] Re: Border for resizing (was: Re: Areas of interest for CDT)

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 20:10:42 +0100

-- Axel Dörfler, on Fri, 13 Nov 2009 14:10:42 +0100:
> FWIW I use the borders to move windows around, and I find that much
> more useful than resizing the window. While the border is very small
> and you have to aim exactly (but that wouldn't be solved by changing
> their function), I rarely need to resize windows, I much more often
> need to move them around.

With the tab there is a comparatively huge area as a very valid
alternative for moving.
At the moment, resizing can be equally challenging as aiming for the
border, when you don't have a full-size resize-corner, e.g. when there
are no scrollbars.

> Furthermore, sometimes you hit that border accidentally; I would hate
> if the window is resized then.

Moving can be equally annoying in some situation. :)

Maybe the only solution is to to implement border-resizing and have
everyone try out if it makes their life miserable.

> Basically, though, the border is almost too small to be really
> useful.
> A shortcut like Control-Alt is a lot more powerful and helpful in
> this
> regard. However, it's a shortcut where you usually have to move your
> hand to be able to press both modifier keys easily. Which isn't ideal
> either.

I, too, think CTRL+ALT should become a "window managing shortcut":

* CTRL+ALT+Cursor: Workspace switching (+SHIFT takes the window)
[implemented]
* CTRL+ALT+ClickAnywhere: Moves window [implemented]
* CTRL+ALT+ClickBorder: Resize window [to be implemented?)

If we want to ease the border-aiming, we could do something like this:
http://picasaweb.google.com/HumdingerB/Mockups#5403667097514157138
(Everything with nicer colors and symbols, of course.)

A window transform grid is overlayed over every window when pressing
CTRL+ALT.

Many advanced users would probably use the shortcut method, new users
are probably more accustomed to border-resizing. Is the CTRL-ALT
shortcut too much a hassle? I already use it all the time for workspace
switching, so...
Maybe change it to a simpler OPT combo? Also a good candidate for
special mouse button mapping.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de