[openbeos-cdt] Re: Replicants

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 14:47:00 +0100

"Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Since the handle is only need for the actual replication from its
> mother app and if you want to move or delete the Replicant, I don't
> see
> why anyone should have "Show Replicants" (which really should be
> called
> "Show Replicant Handle") activated at all. When you discover a new
> app,
> activate the handles to see if any are around, then deactivate again.

But that's not really a good solution. I think it would be much nicer
if the "hands" would be visible on mouse over when they are disabled,
or have at least some way to delete the replicant. Moving/resizing
would indeed also be nice.

> Anyway, IMO replicants only make functional sense in some other
> container than Desktop; either in the Deskbar or between
> applications.

Personally, I would like to keep them on the desktop. Of course, having
another application that accepts replicants wouldn't be too hard to
write (there is even a test program in our repository that already does
that).

> * Resizing isn't possible. The Replicant handle could offer a "Resize
> Replicant" item which would resize the view from the bottom-right
> corner. I don't know, however, if there are some limitations here on
> how the Replicant technology works deep down.

AFAIK it would be no problem to offer that functionality.

Bye,
   Axel.