[openbeos-cdt] Re: Replicants

  • From: Michael Weirauch <dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 12:38:36 +0100

Hi Eddy(Speeder), ;)

2009/11/13 Eddy Groen <eddyspeeder@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Like I said, the idea is beautiful. But I find myself hardly using them,
> basically for two reasons:
> 1. I have "use replicants" off on default, because the "replicant hand" is
> obnoxiously present.

I can only agree. I am never using them except in one place. (Perfectly) aligned
the Deskbar repilicant shelf.

> 2. The outcome of a replicated application embedded in the Desktop isn't
> very pretty:

Yap. ;)

> My goal:
>
> I would like to discuss what the possibilities are to make replicants
> "nicer", in the sense that "I" (or someone like me) would actually use them.
> I see great potential for them becoming the Haiku-way of presenting widgets
> to the user (Clock being a pretty obvious example of that). To do this
> appropriately, means must be sought to not clutter the Desktop, and to be
> able to align widgets (in a straight horizontal or vertical line). The
> "replicant hand" in my eyes should completely be chopped off, and be
> replaced with a translucid charcoal triangle that pops up (or slides in) in
> the right bottom corner.

1. The Desktop is mostly covered with work-windows. So I see no real use
in placing them somewhere on the Desktop. Having them stacked up in
some user configurable container would be nice IMHO. Which leads to ...

2. Provide a means of not covering that area. (c.f. generall discussion
if the Deskbar should be covered by maximized windows) Btw, I really
like that we introduced that in ZETA. (Or was it just internal for us? Forgot.)
An idea whould be to "extend" The Deskbar with a user-configurable
replicant shelf apart from the one right below the menu. Of course,
screen estate in corner-mode is seriously wasted and one has seen
DR3 shots of full height Deskbar... You see I have no real idea either,
but a way to place amount x of replicants into a container would attract me.

3. The replicant handle is seriously a pita. See ActivityMonitor where it
covers parts of the legend items label... So a fading handle when hovering
would really make sense as you propose.

One should of course not forget, that replicants are not just for widgets
on the Desktop. But in all honesty, I haven't seen any real life use of them
in some applications hosting a BShelf and allowing for placing replicants
in them. Or I have just overlooked these apps... besides the Deskbar.

Michael