[openbeos-cdt] Re: Replicants

  • From: Johan Aires Rastén <johan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 13:58:12 +0100

I agree with Michael and Eddy, but so far I don't have any good ideas
for solutions.

The replicant functions I know of that I'm interested in are:

Calculator, but when I need it I want it to be on top of the other
windows not behind. I don't use it very often so for me it's a waste
if it's autostarted or takes a lot of space when not explicitly

Clock / calendar, but there's one on the deskbar.

CPU monitor. I find it useful to see how hark my computer is working,
for example I can get a hint if some background process is doing a lot
of work or if an application might be having problems. Personally I
prefer a small histogram so I see work over time and not just a bar
showing this instant, but I don't need something big that takes a lot
of space.

Media player. As Eddy said, this one makes sense to drop on the
desktop. It's quite important so I might want it visible when I'm only
working with small windows, but it's not so important that it needs to
be visible even if have a fullscreen window.

Weather. Don't know if there's a weather replicant but it could be useful.

Workspace manager. I'm not too fond of having this one as a replicant.
I think workspaces should be a central part of how you work with the
computer and not just an add-on gadget.

As said before, I don't think we've seen the full potential of
replicants yet. However, this far I'm not sure if replicants are good
solutions to giving me access to the things listed above.