[openbeos-cdt] Re: Border for resizing (was: Re: Areas of interest for CDT)

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 14:10:42 +0100

"Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> One thing I would just love to know is: Do people really use the
> window
> borders to move a window?
> I have used BeOS/Haiku for years, and still in 99,9% of the time grab
> windows by their big shiny yellow tab. I almost never grab their
> borders, and if I had to, I would now use CTRL+ALT+click&drag.

FWIW I use the borders to move windows around, and I find that much
more useful than resizing the window. While the border is very small
and you have to aim exactly (but that wouldn't be solved by changing
their function), I rarely need to resize windows, I much more often
need to move them around.
Furthermore, sometimes you hit that border accidentally; I would hate
if the window is resized then (because usually, the windows I work with
just have the perfect size already), but the effect of an accidental
move is usually more negligible (not completely, though, and that's why
I seriously dislike the OS X approach of having all unused space in the
window move it around).

Basically, though, the border is almost too small to be really useful.
A shortcut like Control-Alt is a lot more powerful and helpful in this
regard. However, it's a shortcut where you usually have to move your
hand to be able to press both modifier keys easily. Which isn't ideal
The border has another positive effect though, as an almost neutral
click position between two windows - ie. it actually serves as a border.
While it looks a bit dated to have such a thick border, I actually
think it's useful, too.

So while we definitely don't have the ideal solution, I don't think any
of the proposed changes would improve upon it. I don't even have any
ideas on how to improve it without rethinking it completely.