[gps-talkusers] Re: TeleAtlas Woes

  • From: "Raul A. Gallegos" <raul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 09:10:52 -0400

Yeah we are and gosh darn it, I want it now <smile>. Just razzin ya <grin>.

Charles LaPierre said the following on 7/19/2008 8:13 PM:
Hi Steve,
Yes I totally agree with you on this. Zipcode searching (alpha/numeric addresses and partial street name searches) is high on our list of features to implement, its also one of the hardest to implement because it requires a complete rewrite of the address lookup and indexing code. Sendero does not just throw a new feature in, it is well thought out and works as expected, we have a high standard and you our customers expect and deserve this high quality from us. When we do decide to implement this we want to make sure we do this right, we also have not only our own customers now but also customers from Sense Navigation and Mobile Geo, and trust me they too are asking for this as well.

Thanks
Charles

At 04:42 PM 7/19/2008, you wrote:
Charles,

I'll wait to see, as they say the proof is in the pudding. Two years ago, I complained to them by submitting a form and so far the area name for me is
still unchanged.

In the meantime, one thing that would alleviate this problem is an option to enter a zip code instead of a city name/State in the address search. I'd really like you to take a look at my area of Michigan, where TeleAtlas insists on subdividing areas into things which either don't exist, or it uses several
subdivision names for townships.

If you do, look at the west side of Lansing, the capitol city. As you travel outside the city limits, say going west on 3000 W. Saginaw, you come to my area which TeleAtlas inanely insists is Edgemont, which is not a politically recognized village, township, or anything and I suspect the Postal Service
doesn't even recognize that as a legit name.  I live in Lansing Township,
which surrounds the City of Lansing on three sides; TeleAtlas correctly
identifies it as Lansing Area on the east side and north side, but not on the west side. There is a Edgemont subdeivision much like realtors identify areas of a town that is called Edgemont, but not a city. Then, as you go further west, you enter Delta Township in Eaton County. TeleAtlas recognizes part of this township, but another part of it is referred to as Waverly, which again is undefined as a jurisdiction although the school district which runs through my area as well as all of Delta Township is the Waverly Community Schools. But, there again, there is no village or city of Waverly. All of these areas
lie in the 48917 zip code.

I could site other numerous areas where TeleAtlas comes up with township names that seasoned drivers have never heard of. Since these are non-incorporated
areas, the zip code would be much easier to search for.  I suspect that
TeleAtlas provides better international mapping, but it certainly falls short here in the States and is leaving a bitter taste in many of our mouthes who
have to deal with its idiosyncracies and so far a lack of a decent
work-around.

Steve
Lansing, Mi

Lat 42.44.58.3140 N 84.35.48.0598 W

--
Raul A. Gallegos -- GW Micro Technical Support
Voice: 260-489-3671 -- Fax: 260-489-2608