[gps-talkusers] Re: GPS not indicating direction properly

  • From: "Scott Granados" <gsgranados@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 14:20:00 -0700

Alice, I think it can be broken down this way.

First, you have to understand that the car based systems and even the portable
systems are really designed for auto use.  So all they really do is display a
map, announce some turn by turn and if you're lucky have the ability to work
with POI data of some form.
    Our systems are very much more detailed and flexable.  Also, because they
are primarily walking devices the mapping and level of details are much more
involved.
    Next remember that not having vision really limits the interface
possibilities in some ways.  Things that we do by entering in complex strings
can be represented to a user visually and the user can just tap that section of
the display.  That being said many of the car systems still involve a lot of
poking and entering.  My car system uses a combination of cursor keys and the
knobs so my driver does a fair bit of entering when using the GPS.  Also,
another limitation of car systems is that once the car is rolling you can't
adjust your route or even work with the unit itself.  (unless you rechip your
car and hack the electronics package like many of us do)  The bottom line is to
get the power and flexability we have a more complex interface is required.
Add to that we can't see to use the devices it adds that much more challenge
and need for commands and text based control.  Being sited though is definitely
an advantage in some key ways, productivity and speed being right at the top of
that list!