[goodfeel] Re: Researching what other blind people do with their musical talent and would like to get to know those of you who are interested in sharing more about yourselves

  • From: "Teresa Haifley" <dthaifley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <goodfeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 10:15:15 -0500

How cool!

-----Original Message-----
From: goodfeel-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:goodfeel-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of David Goldstein - Resource Center
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:03 AM
To: goodfeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [goodfeel] Re: Researching what other blind people do with their
musical talent and would like to get to know those of you who are interested
in sharing more about yourselves

I just had to comment on Kaiti's mentioning the less conventional
instruments.  Too bad you didn't put didgeridoo on the Summer Institute
application.  From what I understand, though, it would have been hard to fit
one in the car along with your family.

The melodica was a big thing for a couple of years when I was growing up.
There used to be television programs featuring classes and children playing
in melodica orchestras.  I had one and especially liked the box it came in.
It lasted for many years but then the high D got stuck.  Recently I read
that the company that made it and the toy pianos is still around.  I have a
pretty big harmonica collection.  My brother is a Jews harp virtuoso.  I
read recently that somewhere in Columbus or Cincinnati is the country's only
tin whistle factory.  Are you a patron?

There used to be neat things around, like music-makers that worked on the
principle of a player piano.  They had plastic sheets with bumps that would
play the proper notes.  I saw one sold at one by Montgomery Ward that was
basically a harmonica with a slot for the sheet, which you turned with a
crank.  I once had a set of toy bagpipes that we never got to work.  It used
a regular plastic bag.  Then there was the time when I experimented in a
music store with a small-sized real set of Irish bagpipes and wasn't sure
what to do when they wouldn't stop when I put them down on the counter.

It must be a sign of getting old, but I find myself enjoying locating
sellers of old children's 78's and toys I used to have.  My latest craze was
spinning tops, which I discovered I could buy from the gift shop of a museum
of tops and Yoyos in Wisconsin.  ( www.topmuseum.org ) There is one top, a
"choral" top, that plays different chords as it spins.  (I once brought one
into an Institute theory class for the students to use for harmonic
analysis.)  When that top broke, I decided to take it apart.  It turns out
that it has configurations of Harmonica holes, on top of which is a disk
with an opening on one edge that turns and allows air coming in from holes
on the bottom and sides of the top to be directed to particular sets.

When I think of player pianos, I remember my grandmother's "pianola," which
started life with pedals to pump the air that turned the roll and then was
electrified.  When the motor broke, she connected a vacuum cleaner to it.  I
remember the song "Roll Out the Barrel" with the vacuum cleaner very much in
the background.

David