[gmpi] Re: ramps vs audio-rate controls

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:19:08 -0700

Are you suggesting that this would mean that the audio processing size for GMPI would always be 1 sample? This is too extreme a processing burden. Just the function call overhead kills you at higher sample rates, and there is no audible benefit except in feedback cases.

Mike

David Olofson wrote:

On Friday 16 January 2004 01.17, Tim Hockin wrote:

It was asked to me this week (by someone who may or may not turn up
here) why we're spending time on ramped controls, instead of just
providing audio rate controls.

It seems that audio-rate controls for float/real values *might* be
a good answer.  We could either provide point-value and audio-rate
controls, or require all float controls to be audio-rate.

Pros:
        Same end result as ramps
        More flexible than ramps
        No issues with long-running ramps beyond a buffer

        * Lower communication overhead than ramps when actually
          running at audio rate.

Cons:
        Memory bandwidth
        Host needs to enable hooking up point-value controls to audio-rate
          controls

* Must be processed at full audio rate at all times.

* Fewer optimization tricks.

Audio rate controls definitely seem like the best choice for high end modular synths and the like, but for consumer audio (games, media players etc) and for large networks where most controls are only ramped every now and then, I have a feeling that the cost is a bit too high.

"Computers will only get faster and faster" he said, and adviced his students not to worry about performance when coding. And no one is optimizing code these days, right!? ;-)

Any benchmarks to look at?

Mike Berry
Adobe Systems