[gmpi] Re: ramps vs audio-rate controls

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 03:54:25 +0100

On Friday 16 January 2004 01.17, Tim Hockin wrote:
> It was asked to me this week (by someone who may or may not turn up
> here) why we're spending time on ramped controls, instead of just
> providing audio rate controls.
>
> It seems that audio-rate controls for float/real values *might* be
> a good answer.  We could either provide point-value and audio-rate
> controls, or require all float controls to be audio-rate.
>
> Pros:
>       Same end result as ramps
>       More flexible than ramps
>       No issues with long-running ramps beyond a buffer

        * Lower communication overhead than ramps when actually
          running at audio rate.

> Cons:
>       Memory bandwidth
>       Host needs to enable hooking up point-value controls to audio-rate
>         controls

        * Must be processed at full audio rate at all times.

        * Fewer optimization tricks.

Audio rate controls definitely seem like the best choice for high end
modular synths and the like, but for consumer audio (games, media
players etc) and for large networks where most controls are only
ramped every now and then, I have a feeling that the cost is a bit
too high.

"Computers will only get faster and faster" he said, and adviced his
students not to worry about performance when coding. And no one is
optimizing code these days, right!? ;-)

Any benchmarks to look at?