[gmpi] Re: GMPI req's draft 1 for review.

  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 13:29:31 +0100

On Monday, December 06, 2004 8:48 AM [GMT+1=CET],
Tim Hockin <xxxthockin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 11:38:30PM -0800, Tim Hockin wrote:
>> Make some time - just 1/2 hour is enough.  Read the first 15 sections of
>> the GMPI req's document and offer any feedback.  This includes language
>> changes, spelling, grammar, etc.  This is it.  The draft of the final
>> req's document.
>
> I'll go first:
>
> I think we should strike #13: "best practices and recommendations for
> realtime programming."  That's nice, but we're not a writing a textbook.

True, but it might be good though to emphasize things like "don't do heavy
memory allocations or load files from disk in the main process function"
etc... which are issues that are directly related to the GMPI context. I
wouldn't mind seeing these things stated explicitely in the Reqs. doc (or we
could make it an "appendix" too).

> I think we should clarify or strike #15:  "multi-pass processing".  Isn't
> that the plugin's internal problem?

Don't think so. The point is that an off-line plugin must be able to
scan/read the whole audio track multiple times before it can output
something. And we don't want every offline plugin to have to cache all audio
for its own purposes.

Koen