[geocentrism] Re: Evolution

  • From: Paul Deema <paul_deema@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 12:55:37 +0000 (GMT)

Martin S

I thank you for a well considered and comprehensive response. I do appreciate
your patience with someone who lacks your understanding.
I am essentially in agreement with the thoughts you express in your first
paragraph, taking your statements at face value. And as I've admitted many
times I think, I am unable to challenge your statements. (I did mention I think
that that article defeated me).

Your second paragraph defines your view of my position. Apparently my meaning
was not clear. I would never deny a plaintiff the right of reply. My point is
that if he is correct, the world being what it is, there will be those who will
attest to this correctness. Unfortunately, the world being what it is, many of
those who will agree are often lax  in their assessment of his correctness and
will be less willing to condemn a fellow traveller. This occurs on each side of
the dividing line between (for want of better words) creationists and
evolutionists, however there are also honest and diligent people in the world,
and these will give an honest appraisal. It was one of these I was hoping you
might have supplied. You must admit if you're honest, that if you can find no
one on the opposing team to support your position -- given that there are
honest people in the world -- then your position is distinctly doubtful. (Again
in hope I ask -- anyone -- why can
 I find no secular support for the word of a very qualified A E Wilder-Smith?).
But now to the nitty gritty of this paragraph, I am not siding with Doolittle.
I don't know what he said. I am not knowledgeable of the experiment. I was
defeated by this article -- it concerns highly technical descriptions involving
terms and expressions of which I am wholly ignorant. If things are indeed as
you have reported, then he surely appears to have erred. My difficulty with M
Behe's mouse trap is engendered by information gained from a science channel
doco -- Horizon perhaps, Discovery Channel? -- which explored another
scientist's (sorry -- like everything else, my memory doesn't serve me well)
assessment of his principal thesis of irreducible complexity. I've just checked
Wiki on the subject and find the article describes my thoughts pretty well.
Here is an excerpt -
Despite being discredited in the Dover trial where the court found in its
ruling that "Professor Behe's claim for irreducible complexity has been refuted
in peer-reviewed research papers and has been rejected by the scientific
community at large",[8] irreducible complexity has nevertheless remained a
popular argument among advocates of intelligent design and other creationists.
 Next paragraph ... '"The Mystery of Life's Origin," ... requires the reader to
have a college-level understanding of physical chemistry to understand its
argument.' Well you just know what my defence is going to be here don't you? I
wish it were not so but it would be dishonest to pretend otherwise. I did look
at Gibbs and his free energy though. Sadly, he is in the same boat, but here we
come to what I see as the crux of the matter. Again Wiki says -
In thermodynamics, the Gibbs free energy (IUPAC recommended name: Gibbs energy
or Gibbs function) is a thermodynamic potential which measures the "useful" or
process-initiating work obtainable from an isothermal, isobaric thermodynamic
system. Technically, the Gibbs free energy is the maximum amount of
non-expansion work which can be extracted from a closed system, and this
maximum can be attained only in a completely reversible process
The crucial point here, and I have seen many words on this subject, is 'closed
system'. If I may try an analogy here? You have a car in good running order, a
full fuel tank and a wide road in excellent repair which stretches out ahead of
you to infinity. You get in and start driving and after a while -- a good while
-- the engine sputters and dies. You've extracted all the energy from the
system, you can go no further. This is a closed system. Now, second scenario,
just like the first, except there is a refuelling station every 300 km. You
won't get to the end of the road, but you will get one hell of a lot further.
Still a closed system -- there are no repair shops to replace your worn out
tires/engine/transmission, but to reiterate, you will get one hell of a lot
further.
Shifting to the real world, it is still closed, the Sun will one day get to the
bottom of the nuclear conversion process and no more energy will be
forthcoming. Before that happens of course we will all be extinct, from virus
to human and possible descendants, due to changes in the Sun. But that is still
ahead of us as far as the origin is behind us. In this period, incredible
energy has arrived and will continue to arrive. So long as this is so, plants
will continue to make carbohydrates and animals will continue to convert this
to protein. Everywhere entropy tends to increase, but locally, while energy is
available to power it, entropy is reduced. I see no reason why this should not
apply to abiogenesis as it does to growth and evolution.
Now to origins of life. I'll take your word for it that an oxidising atmosphere
precludes abiogenesis. And I'll take your word for it -- though you didn't give
it -- that a reducing atmosphere (my choice of scenarios) will -- because of UV
light -- destroy life or incipient life, This acceptance however is contingent
upon life beginning in the atmosphere. My understanding is that this is not
presumed. Life began in water, possibly under rocks, possibly in murky deep hot
springs. Something like the deep ocean volcanic vent eco systems seems likely.
Your last paragraph contains a couple of references which are new to me.
Principally the idea of an oxygen rich atmosphere from the beginning. I've not
come across that previously -- I've always understood that it was mostly carbon
dioxide and that oxygen in bulk resulted from small organisms removing the
carbon from the CO2 and precipitating it as limestone. I'll have to look at
that later.
In the meantime -- it's late and I'm hungry. I've been out to a gemstone
exhibition and bought the first two of what I hope will grow into a collection.
An oval smokey quartz and a round very nice amethyst -- the latter being my
favourite.
Paul D