[GeoStL] Re: Perfection is hard to achieve

  • From: Stephen Martin <faery_generic@xxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 08:08:10 -0700

-
> Once they get to the area, they should put the GPS down and start
>using their eyes and brains to look. Look for things out of place like a
>pile of sticks or leaves that would not have fallen there naturally. Look
>for little nooks and holes that might hold small containers. Look high as
>well as low since some of those devious cachers don't always place their
>caches on the ground.

This is the way to do it.  I just feel some folks (newbies and oldbies) rely
too much on the technology of the sport and not the down and dirty sport of the
sport.  I personally haven't changed my coords because just from caching with
others whose machines are different than mine, I know it is impossible to get
acurate coords for everyone.  I am not actually having any sturggles with "off"
coordinates on my hides right now.  I recently found one which is having some
"off by 20" feet logs.  The coords were adjusted and were still off by 16 feet
on my device, on that day, at the time and on a very wooded and tough terrain.
I have many scrapes and scratches(and tick removals) from this difficult
search.  I cussed a bit... ok alot, but I kept searching and found it using the
hint and doing a search AROUND the zero, not just on top of it.

A homecooked meal is often more tasty, but a little more difficult to serve
than a mass produced drive through dinner.

Stephen