[GeoStL] Re: Perfection is hard to achieve

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 15:27:03 -0500

-
 Well, most folks look at only the accuracy of their GPSr (from my
experiencein showing folks), assuming the published coordinates are
accurate.Even with 15 foot accuracy, if the hider is off 15 feet to the left
and the finder is 15 feet off to the left of that, then that is 30 feet
without even 30 foot accuracy showing on your GPSr. If both units are only
getting 30 foot accuracy, then you could be 60 feet away. Of course that is
the most extreme example. Of course the better the hider can do, the less he
is going to contribute to the error, thus the method Steve was recommending
for establishing the cache coordinates.
Andrew Senger wrote: - I have to remind my dad (lobocs) of this all the
time.Frequently, his GPSr will come to a different location than mine, and
he'll still look just in his area (even with a 22-30 foot accuracy!). I can
easily count several times the cache was away from both of our "Zero"
points,so I've learned to start looking around from there. Andrew (yawetag)
On 5/2/07, Laura Million <lmillio@xxxxxxxx>[1] wrote: - When I'm caching
withnew people or when teaching the Girl Scouts, I tell them that the GPS is
only a tool that will take them to the area of the cache. Once they get to
the area, they should put the GPS down and start using their eyes and brains
to look. Look for things out of place like a pile of sticks or leaves that
would not have fallen there naturally. Look for little nooks and holes that
might hold small containers. Look high as well as low since some of those
devious cachers don't always place their caches on the ground. My GPSr is
often way off. That's what I get for buying it on E-bay. I also use a
magnetic compass because my needle on the GPS might be pointing south, but I
know that that direction is really north. I'll pull out my compass and find
what is really south and follow that. It has helped me often. Laura Million
Faculty Technology Center ftc_help@xxxxxxxx[2] 618-650-5697 To submit a work
request please email ftc_help@xxxxxxxx[3] For questions or help with
Blackboard please visit:
http://www.siue.edu/lovejoylibrary/ftc/bb_tutorials.shtml[4] -----Original