From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [GeoStL] Re: Perfection is hard to achieve

-
If you are talking about the service where GE puts caches on the ma= p, then

Ithink that there is a disclaimer about the accuracy not being very= good. I

have seen caches move around as you zoom in and out on GE.
On the other hand, if you are manually entering the coordinates on = a cache

page, then those are the hider's coordinates, and GE isn't going to= do
anything to improve the situation. If anything, based on the discla= imer,
it
may introduce its own error.

If you are looking at an aerial view and using landmarks to determi= ne
coordinates for a hide, I am not sure how accurate that is. They ha= ve
impose
coordinate over a photo, and depending on the area, the resolution = isn't
thatgreat, and depending on the angle the photo is taken, the scale= isn't
necessarily linear, so there will be some error introduced there, b= ut I
don'tknow how much. I think in the long run, the GPSr on location m= ay be
the
best bet.

BTW, those are not satellite views. They are taken from aircraft fl= ying
over
the area.

RNX wrote: - Does a=3D nyone have an opinion on the acuracy of Goog= le
Earth?
If i c=3D an zoom in and see the cache location, place my pointer o= n
tha=3Dt
point, can i assume that the designated coordinates are mo=3D re ac= urate
than
my GPSr's? I know there's still the error =3D of the finder's unit = to be
accounted for, but at least the hi=3D der's error has been minimize= d.
------
Original Message ------ Received: Wed, 02 May 2007 04:29:57 PM EDT = From:
MikeLusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>[1] To: geocaching@freelis= ts.org[2]
Subject: [GeoStL] Re: Perfection is hard to achieve - Well, most fo= lks
look
at only the accuracy of their GPSr (from my=3D experiencein showing= folks),

assuming the published coordinates a=3D re accurate.Even with 15 fo= ot
accuracy,if the hider is off 15 feet =3D to the left and the finder= is 15
feet
off to the left of that, then that is 3=3D 0 feet without even 30 f= oot
accuracyshowing on your GPSr. If both units=3D are only getting 30 = foot
accuracy, then you could be 60 feet away. Of cour=3D se that is the= most
extreme example. Of course the better the hider can do, =3D the les= s he is

going to contribute to the error, thus the method Steve was re=3D c=
ommending
for establishing the cache coordinates. Andrew Senger wrote: - I ha= ve to
remind my dad (lobocs) of this a=3D ll the time.Frequently, his GPS= r will
come
to a different location than =3D mine, and he'll still look just in= his
area
(even with a 22-30 foot accurac=3D y!). I can easily count several = times
the
cache was away from both of our "Z=3D ero" points,so I've learned t= o start

looking around from there. Andrew=3D (yawetag) On 5/2/07, Laura Mil= lion
<lmillio@xxxxxxxx>[3][1] wrote: - Whe=3D n I'm caching withne= w people or
when
teaching the Girl Scouts, I tell them that=3D the GPS is only a too= l that
will
take them to the area of the cache. Once th=3D ey get to the area, = they
should
put the GPS down and start using their eyes=3D and brains to look. = Look
for
things out of place like a pile of sticks or le=3D aves that would = not
have
fallen there naturally. Look for little nooks and =3D holes that mi= ght
hold
small containers. Look high as well as low since some =3D of those = devious

cachers don't always place their caches on the ground. My=3D GPSr i= s often
way
off. That's what I get for buying it on E-bay. I also u=3D se a mag= netic
compass because my needle on the GPS might be pointing s=3D outh, b= ut I
know
that that direction is really north. I'll pull out my compas=3D s a= nd find

whatis really south and follow that. It has helped me often. Lau=3D= ra
Million
Faculty Technology Center ftc_help@xxxxxxxx[2[4]] 618-650-5697 To s= u=3D
bmit a
work request please email ftc_help@xxxxxxxx[3[5]] For questions or = help