[GeoStL] Re: Perfection is hard to achieve

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 16:25:32 -0500

-
 If you are talking about the service where GE puts caches on the map, then
Ithink that there is a disclaimer about the accuracy not being very good. I
have seen caches move around as you zoom in and out on GE.
On the other hand, if you are manually entering the coordinates on a cache
page, then those are the hider's coordinates, and GE isn't going to do
anything to improve the situation. If anything, based on the disclaimer, it
may introduce its own error.

If you are looking at an aerial view and using landmarks to determine
coordinates for a hide, I am not sure how accurate that is. They have impose
coordinate over a photo, and depending on the area, the resolution isn't
thatgreat, and depending on the angle the photo is taken, the scale isn't
necessarily linear, so there will be some error introduced there, but I
don'tknow how much. I think in the long run, the GPSr on location may be the
best bet.

BTW, those are not satellite views. They are taken from aircraft flying over
the area.

 RNX wrote: - Does a= nyone have an opinion on the acuracy of Google Earth?
If i c= an zoom in and see the cache location, place my pointer on tha= t
point, can i assume that the designated coordinates are mo= re acurate than
my GPSr's? I know there's still the error = of the finder's unit to be
accounted for, but at least the hi= der's error has been minimized. ------
Original Message ------ Received: Wed, 02 May 2007 04:29:57 PM EDT From:
MikeLusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>[1] To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[2]
Subject: [GeoStL] Re: Perfection is hard to achieve - Well, most folks look
at only the accuracy of their GPSr (from my= experiencein showing folks),
assuming the published coordinates a= re accurate.Even with 15 foot
accuracy,if the hider is off 15 feet = to the left and the finder is 15 feet
off to the left of that, then that is 3= 0 feet without even 30 foot
accuracyshowing on your GPSr. If both units= are only getting 30 foot
accuracy, then you could be 60 feet away. Of cour= se that is the most
extreme example. Of course the better the hider can do, = the less he is
going to contribute to the error, thus the method Steve was re= commending
for establishing the cache coordinates. Andrew Senger wrote: - I have to
remind my dad (lobocs) of this a= ll the time.Frequently, his GPSr will come
to a different location than = mine, and he'll still look just in his area
(even with a 22-30 foot accurac= y!). I can easily count several times the
cache was away from both of our "Z= ero" points,so I've learned to start
looking around from there. Andrew= (yawetag) On 5/2/07, Laura Million
<lmillio@xxxxxxxx>[3][1] wrote: - Whe= n I'm caching withnew people or when
teaching the Girl Scouts, I tell them that= the GPS is only a tool that will
take them to the area of the cache. Once th= ey get to the area, they should
put the GPS down and start using their eyes= and brains to look. Look for
things out of place like a pile of sticks or le= aves that would not have
fallen there naturally. Look for little nooks and = holes that might hold
small containers. Look high as well as low since some = of those devious
cachers don't always place their caches on the ground. My= GPSr is often way
off. That's what I get for buying it on E-bay. I also u= se a magnetic
compass because my needle on the GPS might be pointing s= outh, but I know
that that direction is really north. I'll pull out my compas= s and find
whatis really south and follow that. It has helped me often. Lau= ra Million
Faculty Technology Center ftc_help@xxxxxxxx[2[4]] 618-650-5697 To su= bmit a
work request please email ftc_help@xxxxxxxx[3[5]] For questions or help w=
ith Blackboard please visit:
http://www.siue.edu/lovejoylibrary/ftc/bb_tutorials.shtml[4[6]] ----=