[gameprogrammer] Re: Carmack on Java phone games

  • From: Szasz Pal <space@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:37:44 +0300

>>Yes, it's true, and why not? A better phone has almost the same CPU, and
>>newer phones even have graphic accelaration.
>
> Problem is we are still stuck with abstraction layers and horribly
> restricted memory space.
I agree totally ... a simple gaming api would be better (like mophun, I
really liked that, too bad somebody cannot make a living out of it)

>>Well, maybe it does his job, sometimes, but not very well.
>>Java implementation on phone sucks!! They are some very insane bugs:
>

> Exactly it is the implementation on the devices, not java.

Yes, but we were tlaking about java on mobile phones, so it's a really
important issue.

>>1) GC does not work well: you should run it manually periodically, or
>>otherwise you will run out of memroy
>
> Depends on the device.

Yes, but most of the devices have problems with it (or at least a lot of
them).

>>2) Some phones (Nokia 7650, 3650) leak memory (it's quite a nice
>>feeling, when you can do nothing about it... )
>
> Actually there is something you can do about it because I think you are
> talking about the S60s usage of native heap for images.
> (tip: don't load them into native heap, for more info send an email)

Well, the only solution I know is to preload all images in the memory at
the beginning. There would be a bit more complex solution, like
preloading the image data of the non transparent images, and you can
recreate the images as many times as you need (these phones leak memory
when loading data into the memory from the jar and when creating partly
transparent images).

If you know a better solution, let me know.

> Even wierder is the fact that a gc() in the main loop makes the app run
> faster..

Hmm, interesting, never saw that yet.

>>And thus different implementation, and we just got back that we have to
>>port the java games for each device...
>
> May I recommend using a precompiler?

You mean a preprocessor? I already use it :-) GCC rulez :-) (since I'm
working on linux)

> I know the java geeks out there will probably wanna stone me for the
> heirsay. ;)

IMHO every java geek who is doing mobile game development for at least a
year would agree with that :-)

> Think you read me wrong then (or I wrote it poorly).
> Working on mobiles is a total pain in the bum and never is easy.
> Actually it is very frustrating!

Yeah, I agree, but it has good sides also.
A single coder (and lets say a grafician) cannot make a living writing
PC games, but they can writing mobile games. It's getting harder an d
harder, but it's still possible...

> Developing is not that problematic (as long as you can finance it).
> The problems start arising when you want to sell them as there are no 'real'
> publishers out there.

Agree

Hmm, I think in the end we start to agree :-) (and I'm starting to
forget what started it at all :-)

--
Best regards,
Szasz Pal