[gameprogrammer] Re: Carmack on Java phone games

  • From: Szasz Pal <space@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:08:39 +0300

>>I agree totally ... a simple gaming api would be better (like mophun, I
>>really liked that, too bad somebody cannot make a living out of it)
>
> Again it is a matter of costs.
> Such 3rd party apis cost money the mobile phone comps would have to pay even
> if their customers never start the game.
> No comp will do that.
Hmm, I don't think SE paid any money to Synergenix just to include the
mophun engine...

>>Yes, but we were tlaking about java on mobile phones, so it's a really
>>important issue.
>
> Sure but you imho you cannot blame java for the failures of the device
> implementations.

Yes, but with java it's easier to make a bad implementation :-)

Anyway, once I was thinking to write a new Java VM for the symbian
phones. By implementing all the nice API's one could use MIDP2 or BT api
on a 3650... that would be cool imho. Do you know if anybody started
such project?

>>You mean a preprocessor? I already use it :-) GCC rulez :-) (since I'm
>>working on linux)
>

> hehe bingo!
> What editor are you using?

setedit, I use a bash script (which has a lot of options), setedit
executes the script, shows the error outut, jumps to the correct line (I
also made a very bugy, but mostly working script to recalculate the
correct line numbers from the java error output).

--
Best regards,
Szasz Pal

-- Type: text/x-vcard