[gameprogrammer] Re: Austin game programming sig?

  • From: Jake Briggs <jakbri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:14:56 +1200

That would be cool - I'd attend in a heart beat if I lived in Texas. I have a couple of projects fermenting in my brain, but I lack the motivation or something to actually implement them :) I think knowing like-minded people, and engaging them would help a lot. I am literally the only programmer in my group of mates....

Jake

Daniel Greeson wrote:
If I may make a suggestion.  For those outside of Texas I beleive would be beneficial if
possible to have updates and agenda's of what was discussed so that is they were
interested they could write the group who lead the discussion and find more out onthat
subject.  I understand that it would be a lot of work but might be something
"outsiders" would like to know about.  Just a thought.....

Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 11:43 -0500, Chris Nystrom wrote:
On 9/7/06, Bob Pendleton wrote:

I'll email Bob and see what we can get?

I emailed Bob and he will let us use a room at ACC, it will have Internet access, and we can set up a local wifi network for the meeting. He needs a few days notice to find a room.

Now we have to pick a time and a day. Please post a message, or send one
to Chris or I personally, stating that you are interested, what format
you would like the meeting to have, what you are interested in, and what
day of the week at what time is best for you.

Here are my thoughts on the subject.

Format: there are many possible formats. I would like to see an open
discussion where anyone can ask a question and the whole group chimes in
and discusses the question. I would also like to see the group break up
into smaller groups that are interested in a specific problem or topid.
I see this as more of a study group that any thing else. Frequently I
would like to see people demo their current projects, finished or not,
and discuss how they did it and what problems they had. Once in a while
I hope people will do formal presentations on a subject, tool, or
product, that they are interested in.

Topics: Anything related to the art, science, or business of game
programming.

Time: personally, Thursday nights and Saturday afternoon are best for
me. I could also make it on Monday, at least for a while. I can do
Tuesday and Wednesday if I can get a ride.

Time: evenings after 7 p.m. or weekends in the early afternoon.

Please forward information about the game programming sig to your
friends. We need to get a critical mass of people to make this work.

You folks out side of Austin, if you are interested in forming a game
programming sig please post your interest on this list. There is good
reason to try to form these sigs in as many places as possible.

Bob Pendleton

Sounds good. Why don't we have a preliminary get together at
Schlotzskys at I-35 and Parmer in the HEB center on Tuesday Night
9/12/06?

Chris

--
E-Mail: Chris Nystrom http://www.newio.org/
AIM: nystromchris

-- Jacob Briggs Systems Engineer

Core Technology Limited
Level 1, NZX Centre
11 Cable Street
Wellington
Phone +64 4 801 2252

--

object doAnythingConceivable(string whatToDo, object whatToDoItWith) { .....