[fvlc-l] Courtesy Card questions

  • From: "Probst, Karen" <kprobst@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <fvlc-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:45:52 -0500

Karen Probst

Appleton Public Library

Our answers are virtually the same as Gretchen's from Neenah, except we
do a higher number.  We issued over 100 in 2007 and 2008, 68 in 2009.
Also, essentially all to Lawrence now that we are aware UW-O and FVTC
issue cards to Wisconsin residents over 18.  We do not actually know how
many are *used* but since many are for repeat customers, I expect most
are.   I don't see any plans for expansion,  but it fills a need we
can't address otherwise at this point.  We only issue courtesy cards on
library cards in good standing with permanent addresses, not for
temporary address such as half way houses or the shelters, and the
insurance fund is always there if need be.  I only remember using it
*ONCE* in the last 15 years or so.  I would expect that any area with
private institutions could benefit from this kind of arrangement,
perhaps just between two institutions.  It's just very convenient to
cover all of FVLC and to already have some kind of structure in place to
"administer" it.   From an ILL standpoint, it's a great way to get
things to the patron fast, and with less tracking and paperwork on our
part.