[fvlc-l] Re: Courtesy Card questions

  • From: Erin Czech <czeche@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fvlc-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 08:36:00 -0500

At UW-Oshkosh, we have not received any walk-in patrons with courtesy cards in years.  And I find no evidence that we have issued any courtesy cards in years, either.
Erin Czech

Peter J. Gilbert wrote:
Hey FVLCers,

Our friends down at COLAND (the Council on Library and Network Development) are thinking about "statewide library access." As part of their discussion, they started looking at programs in which multitype groups (like FVLC) had reciprocal access agreements. The FVLC Courtesy Card program rose to the top of their list.

So they'd like to know the answers to these questions -- and I'd like to hear from you about any responses you have. What do you think about courtesy cards? Are they used? How often (or why not)? That kind of thing.

a.	What are the key elements of your program?
b.	How has your program been marketed?
c.	How is your program perceived by patrons?
d.	Would you consider your program to be a PR success? Why or why not?
e.	How is authentication handled? (This means authentication that the person has a card at a Wisconsin library and is in good standing)
f.	Can you share statistics/metrics on volume/frequency of use, patrons, etc.
g.	What is the anticipated next step or plan for expansion, if any?
h.	Do you think your program could be replicated in other areas in Wisconsin? Why or why not?
i.	What advice would you give others areas considering this type of a program?

I'm supposed to respond to them by Monday so if you could let me know any thoughts you have about this by the end of the day tomorrow (Friday the 30th), I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
PG

--

        Erin Czech, Interlibrary Loan Coordinator
        Polk Library

        Email:  czeche@xxxxxxxxx
        Phone:  920-424-3348
        Fax:    920-424-2175