[frgeek-michiana] Re: Heat

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 08:28:27 -0500

It would also help to know what is our oldest stock and lowest spec stock so we can recycle it or sell it at a warehouse sale.

Tom

Chuq wrote:
Actually when you have a database it makes it a bit easier to have it all together and then run reports against it to get the info that you want. Making seperate databases would be a royal PITA.
And to answer your question yes inventory everything.
I feel that we need to set limits on the number of each item that we have and once we reach that level we do something with the excess (sell, recycle, whatever)

Chuq

On Mon, 2009-12-07 at 21:18 -0800, Phil Goldbach wrote:
There's a couple of ceramic heaters in their own original boxes that should be relatively easy to locate, that should help with the heat for now. There's also a couple not in their original boxes.

Sorry to hear you had so much trouble with the server, Goose. I recall the video that was posted of a shot up server (LOL) and yet, I get an image of you taking a sledgehammer to it. I do agree an inventory system will make for much more ease. It also makes more sense. Here's a couple of questions that should be of consideration or maybe you've already covered it:

1-Would we inventory EVERYTHING? (video cards, NICs, etc.) or just computers? How would the list be categorized? If everything, that's going to be a lot. I'd recommend a master inventory, then categorized individual ones, hoping that whatever software is used will be able to notice that if say, a video card is logged out from the video card inventory list it will also subtract one from the master list. Something like this in the structure of the inventory lists is my idea:

-Master List (would detail everything to be in the sub lists, totals, etc.) -Video cards (possibly catergorized by card type ((AGP/PCI/PCIe)), amount of RAM, manufacturer?)
   -NICs (possibly categorized by speed, card type, manufacturer?)
   -Keyboards
   -Etc.
Or:

-Master List
     -Card Types (NIC, Video, etc.)
        -AGP
        -PCI

I'm sure you get the idea, if not, I apologize for my little diagram not being clear enough. 2- Who would have access to the inventory list? Would access just be limited to supervisors or would say if I'm there one night and need to add a card to a machine, would I be able to do that?

This is more of a suggestion than a question, but perhaps have a master list, if we have sub-lists of the different types of items, and possibly a separate list set for volunteer grade stuff. That way we know what we have available for classes and the like and what we have for volunteers.
I am planning on being at the warehouse this Thursday night (Dec. 10).

Phil Goldbach

"Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades."