Re: [foxboro] P2P links locked

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 14:59:56 -0500

"Disturbing somewhat this thread is."
  -- Yoda

I try to keep my P2P to a minimum, because it does introduce additional
points of failure, but sometimes it is either unavoidable, or much
cleaner/more efficient than alternatives.  Besides, doesn't the "D" in DCS
stand for "distributed"?  The limitations on P2P in most systems I've
worked on (capacity, in my experience usually, not reliability) are
somewhat frustrating, particularly when accompanied with inflexibility in
mapping I/O points to arbitrary control processors (which is also often
the case).

This also seems to me to illustrate a(nother) problem with exception-based
reporting, at least when apparently implemented with the philosophy on the
sink end of, "value hasn't changed, so it must be good".  I guess I will
be getting better acquainted with rsom.

Corey Clingo
BASF

dirk.pauwels@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
09/06/2010 08:50 AM
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [foxboro] P2P links locked

Hi Sander,
Once you know the link is bad, there are probably several ways of fixing
it, the problem is how to detect a bad link, before the programming which
uses the link, fails or executes incorrectly because of the incorrect
input.
Perhaps there is a way of running an rsom and capturing the error messages

at regular intervals, thus generating an alarm when errors are reported,
which would draw the operator or engineer's attention. (just thinking
aloud)

I know in the perfect Invensys world one would not have P2P links, but in
real life it's almost unavoidable, so why is there so little (none except
for the dbvu, which doesn't even report errors of this kind) alarming on
this P2P stuff

We know of 2 bad links, maybe there are more,......

Rgds,

Dirk

sander@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
06/09/2010 15:07
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [foxboro] P2P links locked

Dirk,

We've had the same issue some time ago.
Connections between different CPs. Also fixed it relaying the connection
to a different parameter, checkpointing en switching the connection to the
original parameter.
With us it did seem to happen only the connections with a CALC as the
source.

Regards,
Sander