Re: [foxboro] A host of questions for the professors

  • From: "Kevin Fitzgerrell" <fitzgerrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 08:08:19 +0900

Q1) - Yes, you can safely delete the initial environment.  Before you
do so, change all the files that point to it and get your workstations
correctly booting up with your target environment.  How depends on
whether you are using FV or DM.  I've commonly replaced the initial
environment with a "View_Only" environment to make things clearer -
usually also put "View Only" in buttons on the top menu bar - saves
calls in the middle of the night when an operator can't change
setpoints because the box somehow went back to the initial
environment.

Q2) - At past plants I've never been able to locate previous alarm
manager configurator files and have always edited the .cfg file
directly.  The format is a little tricky but not too bad.  I guess
I'll lose points here for not showing my work though...

Q3) - I'll have to leave this to someone who has a clue...  0 points for me...

Q4) - I don't know about you, but a significant portion of my "FBM
failures" have been due to letterbugs with out of spec legs.  Some of
my CP and gateway problems have also been caused by these out of spec
letterbugs.  Letterbugs with a marginally short or long leg may work
for months or years before faulting an FBM or causing a control
station to not be able to reboot (or far worse, to try to reboot with
the wrong image) - "snoop -x 0 01:00:6c:0f:0f:0f" is my friend.  Not
to mention the damage you can do to your knuckles trying to take the
darn things apart.

Regards,

Kevin FitzGerrell