[faxcenter] Re: Beta Testers Neeeded

  • From: Ralph Strauch <rstrauch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: faxcenter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 15:13:42 -0800

At 4:47 PM -0500 11/7/07, Bradley Warner  Tompkins wrote:
Does anyone have one of those VoIP setups (e.g. Skype) where there is an external box, hanging off of the local ethernet, that lets you plug in an old-fashioned land line phone? Could you please test the new FaxCenter beta on an Intel Mac + external USB modem with the VoIP interface? It would be totally cool if we could use brand new Macs to send and receive faxes sans POTS!

I have that kind of setup and it did not fax reliably with a G4 iMac. I don't know why it would be any better with an Intel machine. The fax is converting an originally digital signal to analog. Converting it back and forth a couple more times through VOIP doesn't seem to work very well.

Ralph
Ralph Strauch, Ph.D., Certified Feldenkrais Practitioner
"Composing Experience" blog <http://www.somatic.com/blog/>
Author of "Low-Stress Computing, Using awareness to avoid RSI"
  and "The Reality Illusion: How you make the world you experience,"
<http://www.somatic.com/>