[ExchangeList] Re: free space after offline defrag

  • From: "William Lefkovics" <william@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 21:13:28 -0700

>>Something is not right

this is true.  namely this part:

>>I do the offline defrag once a month

Exchange reuses whitespace.  Why are you routinely making your Exchange
server have to waste cycles growing its database all the time because you
shrunk it to get 120MB?  Let it reuse its whitespace.
There is absolutely no need to do offline defrags monthly, quarterly or even
yearly.

Such defrags are left for mass deletions and mailbox moves an order of
magnitude greater than your 2GB.

  _____