(no subject)

  • From: "Aviva Shapiro" <alshapirose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:04:06 +0200

Hi. I just wanted to share some nice feelings about presenting the projects
 For the last two weeks my 5 point 10th grade students have been presenting
their music project to the class. At first they ALL had cold feet in spite
of the fact that they are excellent pupils and speak almost fluently. But I
insisted that they present and slowly they have begun and I am just 'blown
away' by the results. If for no other reason just to see their presentations
is reason enough to do projects.

I gave them a few ideas what they could do but they have far surpassed all
my simple ideas. I have seen elaborate posters with missing words, and tic
tac toe games , and an entire lesson taught by two girls  comparing their
two songs and even a crossword puzzle. I thought they would simply play the
song and talk a bit.. But they all gave a lovely talk on how and why they
did their projects and then proceeded to activate the class. Some chose to
play the music but on the whole this was not the main part of their
presentation. It was simply magnificent. And one of the best things for me
as the teacher was simply to be a fly on the wall. I sat in the back of the
room and enjoyed watching my class. Watching each pair or single student
literally captivate the other pupils who listened attentively and clapped at
the end..

Yes, it takes time out of the class lessons but I believe it contributes to
the pupils both in English and in their general personal development. Being
able to speak in front of an audience isn't an easy task even in your mother
tongue. And every pupil who 'got through' this 'ordeal' told me how great it
was.

I strongly reccomend all teachers to allow and encourage their students to
present their projects. It's truly an uplifiting experience.
Perhaps more so for the teacher but also for the kids.

Good luck..
Aviva