[etni] Re: (no subject)

  • From: "Gary Zone" <gary_zone@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jonniegl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 16:18:07 +0000

>This issue of "Street English" VS "correct English" has produced a lively
>discussion on the site. I often discuss this issue in class citeing the
>participants on Ricki Lake as wonderful examples of uneducated people using
>very poor Street English.
>When teaching adjectives, I have a hard time writing on the board:  My
>brother is taller than me. Instead, I often write: My brother is taller
>than I am. Can I write the former?
>I wonder how confusing this must be to our students when we ourselves are
>so confused.
>What about: This is very fun. It really bothers me when my students use
>that phrase, but my educated American niece and nephews do. Is it
>considered correct?

Obviously, neither are correct, but watcha gonna do, eh? Teens will always
have their lingo. Just point out the common usage by either 'the street' or
'teens', etc. Point out why it is incorrect and should not be used in class
unless they are the direct quotes of such a person in a story.
It's like driving in a way. After you passed your driving test, when you
drove away with your new licence, did you obey every last rule, like always
driving on the right (N. America) when you pulled away from the testing
site?
Gary/Gershon
Calgary, Canada