[etni] (no subject)

  • From: eyuval <eyuval@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 12:34:12 +0200

Well, for whatever my two cents are worth, I have to agree with Lev on this
one. When it was a case of one specific teacher (me, but it could have been
anyone) with one specific problem, the irgun was very very good. However, when
it was a case of a whole teaching staff with a problem, the histradrut was
worse than useless, in that they sided with the school, and the attitude of the
irgun seemed to be that you can't fight city hall. And maybe you can't, but in
that case how does the irgun justify its existence? And budget? I wouldn't know
how to change them from within, and I have the feeling that most of us Anglo
types have no idea whatsoever about how to be functionaries in Israel.
But the bottom line is that as teachers, and not just English teachers, and I
don't care if it is a world-wide complaint, we do not get a decent salary, we
get no respect from society (Oh dear, the teachers are on strike, who will
baby-sit my children while I work at a real job?), the Ministry of Education
doesn't have a clue as to what actually goes on in classrooms, we are
responsible, i.e., guilty, if the children don't learn anything, but if they
do, it's because they are so smart they don't need teachers, etc., and I don't
see anyone doing anything to change any of if. We strike for an hour or a day
and have about as much effect as a mosquito bite. Look at what Amos Komorsky
did for the university teachers 12 years ago. Why could they do it and
high-school and elementary teachers can't -- or won't? So instead of saying no
no no all the time, someone, please come up with an active idea everyone thinks
is better than Lev's.
Elizabeth Yuval