Re: new pre-release

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:01:29 +1000

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 18:56:39 +0200
"Liviu Andronic" <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm experiencing random messages with the Crypt plugin. I have a 9.7MB
> encrypted file, using Salsa20 and LZO. Follows the behaviour I notice.
>
> Entering a password similar to the right one, I get this error message:
> "Unknown compression library
> Error decompressing file /tmp/Models.tar.enc".
>
> Entering a password (differently) similar to the right one gives:
> "Wrong password for /tmp/Models.tar.enc".
>
> Entering a dummy "asdfasdf" password the error is as follows:
> "Error decompressing file /tmp/Models.tar.enc".
>
> At any rate, I was able to successfully decrypt the file (after having
> recalled the correct password). The cause of the above errors might
> lie in my password containing "funny" characters, like # $ @ &.

Most likely, the 2 different messages mean the same thing, for LZO. There's
some strangeness in the manner that LZO goes about decompression. A wrong
password can sometimes cause the decompression to abort instead of getting to
the end, where the password can be checked. AFAIK there's no way to reliably
decide whether a "Error decompressing" is a real error or just a bad password.