Re: new pre-release

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 14:25:27 +1000

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 21:40:48 -0500
"Adam Krolnik" <akrolnik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, press the 'default' button on the config pane and then the 'commit'
> button.
> [This is so that no old configuration (from other pre-releases or svn
> checkouts) exist.]
>
> Then try the function keys. I tried F3, F4, F9, F10 as I know they don't
> change files.
Well, unless you've turned off some warnings, nothing will be done without
further confirmation or other opportunity to cancel.

F10 is in 'general' category, to quit (end-session). I can't think why that
would not be working. As of today, default F11 has moved to the general
category, and so applies to dialogs as well as the main window (for our
maemo-users at least)

I'll need to think about how to investigate this. I have no such behaviour
here, and ATM can't think of why some keys would work while others don't.

For now, can you please investigate what happens if:

1. remove a F... binding from some category and put a replacement for the same
binding in some other category (for safety sake, just make the action: echo
"pressed" or something equally innnocent

2. change a modified F... binding somewhere to the corresponding unmodified key
(and a suitable action).

3. put some F... binding into several 'generations' of category (say, general,
main, commandline), and check that the lowest category is the one actioned when
the focused widget is in that category

> Okay, I see that output.activate is assigned to button-1 - actually
> Double-Click 1.
> Wow, I'm able to use button 10 on the trackball and I reassigned
> output.activate to it.
In a nutshell, that's what the whole bunch of pointer-related changes over the
last few weeks are designed for  ...

> Now I can double-click on files and then open them or ...  Is the
> determination of how much
> text to select with a click only in the code ?
Yes. It just looks for the closest unquoted-space-char, or newline-char, before
and after the current selection, if any, or else before and after the cursor
position, and uses all that's between.

 I changed my xterm selection
> by changing the
> allowed character class to:
> *VT100*charClass:46-47:48,95:48,126:48
>
> This shoud include [./] maybe others to allow one to highlight a full path
> name without having to click and drag.
>

> It looks like trying to assign a button press to
>     command.focus;command.insert_selection
After recent updates to generalise the command.insert_selection action, if you
need to change focus, change first to _where the selection is_, not where it
will be pasted. You may want to focus the commandline after pasting. The
example you provided will never work, AFAIK, anyhow there's nothing achieved by
getting a selection and pasting it to the same place.

> Only works when the command line is empty. If I put (for example) "ls "
> on the command line and then highlight and paste a file, all I get is
> the cursor focused to the command line and the "ls " highlighted.
> I even tried adding 'key.fake Right' to go to the end of the entered text,
> but it did
> not paste the value. It does work if I go and click in the command line and
> hit button-2.
>
> I also see that 'Tab' in the command line doesn't complete a selection,
> instead it
> focuses dirline1 and highlights it.
This is another strangeness that does not occur here ...