Re: new pre-release

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 20:21:44 +1000

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:05:37 +0200
"Liviu Andronic" <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 2:06 AM,  <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> How compatible are the "old" and "new" config files? Would it work
> >> manually copying relevant parts---bookmarks, custom menus, key
> >> bindings and file types---from the old to the new? (From what I can
> >> see here, however, it seems this would hardly be the case.)
> >
> > Content apart from bindings will be _largely_ compatible, except for some
> > action-names. So I presume you could just replace the bindings in an old
> > config file and then individually change actions which don't work, via a
> > config dialog.
> >
> I thought that it would be nice to provide user with the option to
> replace only the keyboard bindings part of the old config file, and
> use this "upgraded" config. Would this be difficult to implement?
A. difficult
B. for anyone wanting to use pointer-device bindings, quite useless
C. for users in general (moving from an official release) quite onerous to fix
all problems
D. for users of translated UI's (fr at least) quite useless

For any of you who have release 0.4.1.3 (20090927 pre-release, or current svn)
and not a translated UI, recent incremental differences are minor - several
revised default keybindings, and correct name of the toggle.fullscreen action
(bound to F11). But if you've upgraded from 0.4.1 official, say, then you
really do need a fresh start for config data.

> Another issue with the pre-release is that I am unable to define
> keyboard bindings; these are simply not captured by emel. Sometimes
> I'm even able to type in "aasdf", instead of the binding. NOTE: I have
> just installed the latest pre-release, and this issue seems gone. I
> still can however not use the defined bindings.
Can you please describe an example or 2 of exactly what key(s) you've bound,
and in what category, and what happens, if anything, when the key is pressed.

> Also, since gtkspell-2.0.14 was released, it no longer needs to be
> patched in order to integrate correctly with emel. It would probably
> be best to update the files Makefile.config
Done.
 and INSTALL
No mention there, ATM.
, and the Patch
> section of the Downloads Web page[1].
Done a while back.

 I would also suggest to include
> on the home page [2] the same information about the dependencies as
> that contained in INSTALL.
Now updated a bit.