[duxuser] Re: unwanted italics

  • From: "Susan" <chrn3292@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 00:17:50 -0500

The "rest of the story" is pretty murky. Jean's problem wasn't
what I was expecting. In fact, I couldn't duplicate her problem
with her files. Her doc file came from a pdf file, and she
doesn't know the details of how it was pulled from pdf, so we
can't sort it out. So, Jean's particular issue is still a
mystery.

Here's what I can tell you.

1) Yes, ABBYY FineReader 9 is one of the issues. Earlier versions
are OK. FR 9 now assigns font styles, and so text that is
emphasized in some way will have a unique numbered font style
assigned. In the processing of cleaning up your file in Word, you
may decide to get rid of unnecessary emphasis, such as text that
is recognized as bold, but in fact is just a heavier font in the
text. You get the file to look the way you want it, but when you
open the file in DBT, you find you have all the emphasis you
worked at getting rid of. The solution is to either delete the
font style in Word or redefine the style. In other words, you
need to understand how to use and modify styles correctly, vs.
manually changing text in the document.  If you want to avoid
this problem altogether, choose the option to save the file to
Word 2007 docx, as font styles do not come through in those
files. Note, sending the file to Word 2007 keeps the font styles,
so the file must be saved as docx. Once you have the file open in
Word, you'll need to save the file back to the doc option so you
can open it in DBT. Obviously another option is to save as txt,
but for many situations that's going to create more work in the
long run.

Don't automatically decide to avoid the styles altogether by
going the docx route if you understand styles and find/replace.
Font styles can come in handy for quickly formatting a document.

2) OmniPage also assigns styles, and I get sporadic problems with
those files, but at this point I can't pinpoint specifics. I
can't remember what version OmniPage introduced styles, so if you
use a version older than 16, make sure you check out what you are
dealing with in the options. Recent versions do have an option to
not save styles, but I'm not finding consistent results one way
or the other with that option checked. Again, if you are finding
emphasis issues and you are using a recent version of OmniPage,
try saving to docx and then back to doc.

3) If you copy/paste text from the internet, you can also run
into this same problem. Italics are styled as "Emphasis" and bold
is styled as "Strong." Let's say you don't want to keep the bold.
There are a couple of different ways you may do that globally,
but if you don't deal with the Strong style by either redefining
it or deleting the Strong style from that document, you'll still
end up with emphasis when you open the file in DBT.

In communicating with Peter Sullivan at Duxbury about this issue,
he informs me that DBT is doing what it's designed to do.

That's what I know for the "rest of the story" right now, but I'm
guessing there is more to learn.

Susan