[duxhelp] Re: Beta 3 is available

  • From: "Jack Maartman" <jmaartman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 14:56:49 -0700

Hi all:

To those using the French tables, I have found on my system that the capital
sign, which by convention, I have always known as dots 4-6 is represented by
dots 4-5. I can hardly imagine that the francophone community has suddenly
changed this. Surely others would have noticed the difference. I
re-installed an autobuild and The conventional capital sign was used.  One
way of grouping the differences in braille used throughout the world, is the
differences in punctuation. European braille, often uses a dot 3 for a full
stop and dots 2-6 for question marks. Thus on the basis of these three
criteria, arise two different traditions, and when looking at minority
languages, you can tell which ex-colonial power did the braille. The
missionaries out of SSIL, always use North American braille.

I will do further testing, however as my braille device has to go into
hospital, I'll be winging it with synthetic speech.

Hope all's well with everyone

Regards

Jack