[duxhelp] Re: Beta 3 is available

  • From: "Peter Sullivan" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 18:31:05 -0400

Jack,

I prefer not to use e-mail for sending these files -- they are far too
large.  On Friday, somebody e-mailed me a 28 MB .MSI file out of blue.
Unfortunately, I was working at home with only dialup, and hadn't expected
it.

We can use e-mail in a pinch; and I won't discourage you from supporting one
another.  But I'm willing to work with David to get him the file.

As for the registry, it's certainly possible that old registry entries will
interfere with new software.  It's also possible that new software will
require that a registry entry be "left behind" by earlier software.  We do
try to check for both possiblities here, and then keep an eye on it during
beta test.

I don't really understand why registry entries would be thought of as
"intrusive"; the registry is just a managed file.  But you can find all of
the DBT information in either:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Duxbury Systems, Inc.
Or:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Duxbury Systems, Inc.

Note that if more than one user has used DBT, then you may find that you
have to be logged in as several different users to really find all of the
registry information.

We don't presently have a way to wipe all registry information from within
DBT.  And it doesn't appear that the "Remove DBT" function really removes
all of it either.  That latter issue is a problem, as it definitely should
remove all of it.