[delphizip] Re: ZipBuilder with Windows 7

  • From: RPeters <rpeters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 05:49:05 +1100

On 8/12/2009 10:23 PM, James Turner wrote:
>> I think you may need to check your spelling - evidently Windows 7 (in
>> particular) does not like
>>
>> processorArchitecture="X86"
>>
>>    evidently it should be
>>
>> processorArchitecture="x86"
>>
> I have not encountered or heard of this but anything is possible in Windows!
>
> So far as I am aware, DLLs do not need (and should not include) a manifest
> unless they will be executed using RunDLL32.exe indeed, I just checked a few
> Windows DLLs (in XP) and could not see any manifests.
>

>> James, thanks for the manifest information.  But
>> neither one of my backup programs use one.
>>
> As I said, IT ISN'T OPTIONAL ANYMORE. In XP it didn't matter but from Vista
> onwards it most definitely does matter. Whilst there may be other factors at
> play  with your particular problem, you absolutely must insert a program
> manifest in any program intended to run under Vista/7 which may save data to
> protected areas. If you fail to do so, file/registry virtualization will
> cause that data to be saved elsewhere unless you run the program with full
> admin rights. If you do include a manifest, such file and registry accesses
> will trigger an "Access Denied" message (so your program should respond
> appropriately).
>
> -- James Turner

I hadn't been able to confirm the manifest problems myself but a while
ago I received the following (it took a while to locate the email)

· Changed processorArchitecture from “X86” to “x86”

ClickOnce reported the following error:

“The 'processorArchitecture' attribute is invalid - The value 'X86' is
invalid according to its datatype
'urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1:processorArchitectureType' - The
Enumeration constraint failed.”

· Removed ‘language=”*”’

According to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/et7946ex%28VS.80%29.aspx
“language” isn’t a valid attribute on <assemblyIdentity> element, which
resulted in an error when trying to execute the ClickOnce installer

I suppose it makes their (Microsoft) programming easier if they require
exact labels and 'filename' (can be checked in-place and avoids
translations) but they could have warned people.
Russell Peters