[delphizip] Re: ZipBuilder with Windows 7

  • From: James Turner <james.d.h.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 11:23:03 +0000

> I think you may need to check your spelling - evidently Windows 7 (in
> particular) does not like
>
> processorArchitecture="X86"
>
>   evidently it should be
>
> processorArchitecture="x86"
I have not encountered or heard of this but anything is possible in Windows!

So far as I am aware, DLLs do not need (and should not include) a manifest
unless they will be executed using RunDLL32.exe indeed, I just checked a few
Windows DLLs (in XP) and could not see any manifests.

> James, thanks for the manifest information.  But
> neither one of my backup programs use one.
As I said, IT ISN'T OPTIONAL ANYMORE. In XP it didn't matter but from Vista
onwards it most definitely does matter. Whilst there may be other factors at
play  with your particular problem, you absolutely must insert a program
manifest in any program intended to run under Vista/7 which may save data to
protected areas. If you fail to do so, file/registry virtualization will cause
that data to be saved elsewhere unless you run the program with full admin
rights. If you do include a manifest, such file and registry accesses will
trigger an "Access Denied" message (so your program should respond
appropriately).

-- James Turner