[softwarelist] Re: SyncDiscs - a new version (1.20)

  • From: Chris Johnson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 10:52:31 +0100

In article <5112c79db1briancarroll@xxxxxxx>,
   Brian Carroll <briancarroll@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes it does, plus such things as 'File xxx newer on
> <destination>' when they are not.

Do you get this regularly? Assuming the files involved are not
sensitive, maybe you could send me an example of a pair of files from
primary and secondary, and I will try to trace exactly what is being
returned from the OS calls to make SyncDiscs think they are different
when compared. Either zip the two files separately, or in to two
different directories in the same zip.

Once you have taken a copy of the two recalcitrant files, what
happens when you do a sync with 'Overwrite newer files on secondary'
ticked. Does this put things to right?

>  There is a pair of entries for each directory entered in the 2
> main main fields. I thought that perhaps the way the
> synchronisation is done could somehow accumulate the comparison
> data.

When syncing, the 'comparison' is done before each object is
copied/moved/do nothing/whatever. That forms the basis of the
operations the sync process does. To do a running compare after each
file is operated on would complicate matters a bit. Certainly, under
multitasking, SyncDiscs doesn't know what the Filer_Action has
actually resulted in, other than that the operation has 'completed'.
Whether, eg, a copy was actually performed, or the FA decided no
action was required is unknown. Perhaps an 'automatic' compare after
a synchronisation is the simplest way.

--
        Chris...