[softwarelist] Re: SyncDiscs - a new version (1.20)

  • From: Chris Johnson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 13:08:51 +0100

In article <5114e7d0dfchris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Chris Johnson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <5114cd2a4cbriancarroll@xxxxxxx>,
>    Brian Carroll <briancarroll@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Yes, that is a good explanation of what happens.  I still would
> > like the newly-created directory to be 'stamped' back to its
> > original date-time. Moving a directory, which copies first then
> > deletes, appears to preserve the datestamp so it can be done.

> This is an interesting point. One of the things I have done in my
> wisdom to try to speed things up is (where circumstances allow) to
> do a delete + rename rather than a copy delete. This applies when
> using a scrap directory and moving/copying files from secondary to
> the scrap directory, but a consequence is that the associated
> following copy from primary to secondary will now involve
> recreation of any secondary directories involved. Perhaps another
> user setting is waiting in the wings!

The above, while true in principle, is not in practice because of the
way SyncDiscs works. It will only be dealing with complete
directories when the dir does not yet exist in the secondary.
Therefore there is nothing to move in to scrap at this poin. The
above process using rename will only be used with files and not
directories.

--
Chris Johnson