[softwarelist] Re: SyncDiscs - a new version (1.20)

  • From: Chris Johnson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 12:09:12 +0100

In article <5115b22dc3briancarroll@xxxxxxx>,
   Brian Carroll <briancarroll@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Further to the discussion following that point, I have done some
> more checks, using a NULL:$ filer window that I use sometimes for
> a quick deletion (Shift-drag (ie move) a file into it). Using it
> to delete a large directory of images of 100Mb+ it is clear that
> they are copied into NULL:$ one by one before being deleted one
> by one from IDEFS::Gromit.$.Tempdir.11May10.Book1, finally the
> directory itself is deleted.  Watching the filer-action window
> meanwhile shows that a normal 'read' is done on each file but the
> 'write' to NULL:$ is practically instantaneous, as expected.

> I don't know whether that helps :-)

Nor do I 8o)

I am unclear what you are doing here. Are you doing it manually, or
is SyncDiscs involved?

As far as SyncDiscs is concerned it will only attempt the 'rename'
route if it is doing a move and if it thinks secondary and scrap are
on the same device, i.e. it looks at the e.g. IDEFS::Gromit.$ part of
the full path and compares the two.

--
Chris Johnson