[softwarelist] Re: SyncDiscs - a new version (1.20)

  • From: Brian Carroll <briancarroll@xxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 18:03:21 +0100

In article <ukBxwWDUhU5LFw5o@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Pilling
<flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <5112c79db1briancarroll@xxxxxxx>, Brian Carroll
> <briancarroll@xxxxxxx> writes
> >Yes it does, plus such things as 'File xxx newer on
> ><destination>' when they are not.  There is a pair of entries
> >for each directory entered in the 2 main main fields. I
> >thought that perhaps the way the synchronisation is done
> >could somehow accumulate the comparison data.

> Could you tell us the file systems in use for primary and
> secondary?

Both are IDEFS and identical discs. I never use the Mirror unless
I need to retrieve a file (commonly after over-writing a template
file in Impression because of an injudicious 'save'). On one
occasion I needed to boot from it.

> SD does of course have an option to not copy a file from
> primary to secondary if the secondary is newer - I wonder
> what setting you have for that option.

I use neither of the 2 copying options nor overwrite.

> This matters because if you have newer files set to be
> over-written then compare should not see the secondary file
> as newer.

Exactly. If I get a discrepancy after a 'compare' I prefer to
investigate why rather than just overwrite automatically.

> Do you remember how big the time difference is on these files
> - what I'm getting at is that some file systems have
> different time resolutions. I maintain that you can't trust
> the older MS file systems to within an hour - I recall they
> mess up day light saving in some way.

I don't think that would be relevant when primary and secondary
are both on the same filing system.

> When I wrote SD back in 1997, it seemed a relatively new idea,
> at any rate I had nothing to compare it with. By now file
> synchronisation software has its own wikipedia page and the
> possibilities are endless. No doubt comparing the actual file
> data before and after the copy come in the legion of possible
> features.

> I was hired by Acorn in 1997 to write CSFS - client server
> file system, for the NC - network computer. The idea was
> there was a file system in the NC and periodically it was
> synchronised to a server. Anyway not a huge leap of
> imagination to SD.

Well I for one am grateful that you developed SD from that work.
I find it easy to use and to set up, and it does everything I
need for a simple though not very secure backup regime.

Brian.