[softwarelist] Re: OP on Linux (revisited)

  • From: Phillip Marsden <phillip.marsden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 10:50:30 +0100

Ned Abell wrote:
On 28 Jun, Phillip Marsden <phillip.marsden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Paul Vigay wrote:
In a dim and distant universe
<ac282fb64f.steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Steve
Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> enlightened us thusly:

Huh?  Have you ever /seen/ a copy of Personal Accountz,
Paul?
I've seen a copy of the current Accountz yes. Mainly
because a friend wanted an accounts package and I
recommended Prophet, but as that's not available anymore
(and he also has a PC) he bought a copy of Accountz. He
then phoned me up saying he didn't think it was very good
- so I went round to have a look - which is when I was
shocked to see how slow it was.

Thus neatly side-stepping the issue of appearance, which is
what you passed comment about. What did I tell you Steve
(Fryatt)? He found a way to side-step your question.

Come on, Paul, tell us why this product in particular and
Java applications in general are dreadful in appearance.
Also tell us why Java applications should be dreadful in
appearance simply because they are written in Java.

No please don't.
Its not relevant to Davids software as we dont have a modern
Java interpreter and the tone of your recent postings has been
over agressive. If you both wish to debate it take it to
email.

Fin

I agree that Java is not relevant to David's software on RISC OS, but this thread has covered many things including OPro on Windows and Linux where Java would be relevant, as suggested by someone other than myself.

I can assure that I am not being aggressive. I am being calm and collected. That I am wanting a straight answer from a person who cannot give a straight answer makes things very difficult. Paul is a well-regarded member of the RISC OS community and his words are taken as gospel by many of the less-technical people around here. In order not to put the whole RISC OS community in a bad light he should learn to give a more considered and accurate view rather than the splather that he comes out with. Why do I say splather? Because time and again he makes statements and is taken to task by the more technical of our community. Time and again he is proved incorrect in his statements, and the only answer he has is to try to deny what he has said.

Paul is a decent bloke, but he lets himself down by making wild assertions.

--

Regards, Phillip Marsden

For quality bespoke acoustic guitars phillip.marsden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx