[softwarelist] Re: OP on Linux (revisited)

  • From: Ray Dawson <ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 23:19:57 +0100

Paul Vigay <lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In a dim and distant universe
> <ac282fb64f.steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> enlightened us thusly:
>
> > Huh?  Have you ever /seen/ a copy of Personal Accountz, Paul?
>
> I've seen a copy of the current Accountz yes. Mainly because a friend
> wanted an accounts package and I recommended Prophet, but as that's not
> available anymore (and he also has a PC) he bought a copy of Accountz.
> He then phoned me up saying he didn't think it was very good - so I went
> round to have a look - which is when I was shocked to see how slow it
> was.

It's strange how you can slow down any Windows running computer that you
get your hands on ;-)

As the owner of a copy of Personal Accountz I can assure you it isn't at
all slow - in fact it's one of the fastest Windows programs I've ever come
across to load up. In operation it is certainly very quick in everything
it does.

As for the GUI, http://www.accountz.com/pazsc.pdf will give you
screenshots.

I presume that, as it was considered as an alternative to Prophet - which
is slow - your friend was actually using Business Accountz and not
Personal Accountz. Although I no longer use BA and traded down to PA, I
can assure you that BA is just as quick as PA on a half decent Windows
machine.

I can't really see why software such as Ovation Pro shouldn't run under
Java and be portable between OSs - which is where we came in.

Cheers,

Ray D