[softwarelist] Re: OP on Linux (revisited)

  • From: Paul Vigay <lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 07:59:49 +0100

In a dim and distant universe <gemini.k33dbp00zy1uw02ec.ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Ray Dawson <ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> enlightened us thusly:
[Snippety snip]

> The point about running in Java is that it is portable between OSs
> capable of running recent Java - which of course excludes RISC OS.

Yes, but you're missing another major fundamental point. With Java you end
up with everything within a walled garden and the user interface is
horrible.

The whole beauty of RISC OS is that you have the RISC OS environment. This
is the major pleasure of the whole system.

I've already admitted that there are some jolly good Mac applications out
there (Keynote is lovely) BUT, and it's a MAJOR BUT, the usability of those
applications is seriously let down (in my case to the state of unusability)
by the rest of the GUI which is terrible compared to RISC OS.

The thing I like about OvPro is that it's all a nice, integrated, RISC OS
application, so a pleasure to use. Like the comment I made about Open
Office on the Mac, it might be a nice application, but it's still running
within a closed 'X' environment on the Mac, which means it doesn't even
conform to the Mac OS X desktop stuff (think Firefox on RISC OS for a
comparison). Java applications are the same, so for me, they'll never
replace native applications which run in the native GUI of the relevant OS
being used.

IMHO RISC OS is easily the best GUI, which is why I believe RISC OS OvPro
will always be the best version, even if the Windows version might have a
couple more features.

Paul Vigay
Editor, www.RISCOS.org

--
Using, programming and promoting RISC OS - the most productive computer
system in the world. Check it out now, and change your view of computers!!

To reply/email, visit http://www.riscos.org/feedback/

Datum: 17 August 2001 22:55