[citw150] CITW150 L6 Q6

  • From: Russ Corkins <corkir_lcc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 08:33:54 -0800 (PST)

Telnet is basically used to create a terminal session to a remote machine.
Once connected whatever typed via that session is performed on the remote
machine and responses are returned to the Telnet session.  We use a free
product to connect to some remote servers that we have at work.  When entering
simple commands it is quicker and easier to use than establishing a Remote
Desktop connection.  Also just as quick and easy to use when connecting to a
Unix box from a windows box.

  I just used Telnet\Putty to connect to some servers this past week-end to
apply the latest Microsoft Security Patches for servers.

  The only thing with using telnet, or a telnet based product is to make sure
you type the IP or name of the machine to connect to correctly, and make sure
the telnet port is not blocked on the machine you are connecting to.

  You can find out more about Putty at:

  Regards,
  Russ Corkins

Check out the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta - Fire up a more powerful email and get
things done faster.