[citw150] CITW150 L6 Q6

  • From: Joseph Corrion <corrionj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ListServ CITW150 <citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:27:28 -0800 (PST)

  Exploring Telnet

  What you learned about telnet?s uses?
  It is software that allows a user to connect to a remote computer through a
network with the use of TCP/IP protocol suite, where you can submit commands
and run applications on the remote computer.

  We currently use this within the company to do backups for the financial
department. I do know that it is use from time to time by our Technical Support
guys, so it must still be a valuable tool.  I started to use computers back in
the mid-80?s so I remember the DOS days, and had to use it work and school.
Telnet reminds me of DOS, and how far computers and applications have come over
the last 20 years.

  Provide a URL to document where you learned this?
  MS Windows XP  - Professional Product Doucumentation
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/telnet_commands.mspx

  Where did you practice telnet?
  LOCIS: Library of Congress Information System

  URL?
  telnet://140.147.254.3

  Tell us what happened?
  I had a little problem moving within the site above.  The main problem was it
didn?t display what you were typing.  Also, the Layout wasn?t all that great,
and the screen size was kind of small.  I can definitely see why this isn?t
used as an interface any more.

  Mention at least one thing that you learned about telnet as you tried using
it?
  It is definitely something that gets easier the more you use it.  Because we
are so use to ?point and click?-ing, menu / text driven commands are harder for
us to use.

  Thank You,
  Joseph J. Corrion

Joseph J. Corrion
CorrionJ@xxxxxxxxx

"A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval."  Mark Twain

,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
 (_o_)