[bookshare-discuss] Re: Scanner question

  • From: Shane Christenson <drummershane@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 03:54:02 -0500

Hi, Nicki. It depends on how much you want to spend, and how easy you want your scanning jobs to be. I say this because many people on here use flatbed epsons, cannons and the like, and they can cost around 80 dollars or more or less, and some, myself included, use the opticbook 3600, which is a bookedge scanner that makes scanning of books a little easier. It's very doable with the flatbeds, because there are people here who use them and get excellent scans, but the book-edge scanners are great for picking up print that's very close to the inside of the binding. The opticbook will run about 250 dollars including shipping from amazon.com, and if you want to go the cheaper route, any cannon or epson, or even an hp can be gotten locally. The great thing about some of the newer cannons is they're very small and light weight, making it great to travel with. I have the cannon lide 60, but there are even newer models out than that. The only drawback to the flatbeds is, if you have a book where only one page fits on the scanner glass, you have to hold the other side of the book up so it doesn't get in the way of the scan. With the book edge scanners, you simply place one page on the scanner glass and let the other side of the book hang off the edge. If a book is small enough however, you can scan in 2-page mode with either type of scanner. you just have to press down hard enough on the spine of the book that all the inside margin print is picked up in the scan. i hope these tips are at least somewhat helpful, and that I haven't confused the heck out of you. If you have anymore questions, please ask.

Shane
At 09:09 PM 8/16/2007, you wrote:
Hi all,

Which scanners are best for book scanning? My scanner is 10 years old, and it seems to not be working well. I use openbook. Thanks for any suggestions of a good scanner. I asked my husband for one for my birthday, and he asked for suggestions of good ones that people use to read books with access software like Openbook. Thanks in advance for any help.