[bookshare-discuss] Re: OT: Barathrum

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:57:16 -0700 (PDT)

I love research questions like this. Bring them
on--grin

Unfortunately the Oxford English Dictionary online is
bysubscription only, and my Skeats etymological
dictionary doesn't have the word, BUT!!

google is wonderful. Googling found these two
definitions:

From the 2004 Scripps National Spelling Bee
Consolidated Word List:

barathrumâ??nounâ??From Greek to Latinâ??a bottomless
pit or abyss: a place  or state of misery or torment.
"The motivational speaker said that her early life was
a barathrum which she was fortunate to have survived.

From about.com:

obscure words: barathrum

[L., from Gk., a pit, gulf] a) a deep pit at Athens,
into which condemned criminals were thrown
b) the abyss, hell c) an insatiable extortioner or
glutton

HTH

Cindy

--- Amy Goldring Tajalli