[bookport] Re: new unit proposal

  • From: "David Allen" <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 09:35:09 +1200

Hi Kevin and list:

I used to think like you, that we should not accept software synthesisers, regardless of what it was or how good it was. I also used to think we always needed DOS. I no longer believe any of that. Processors have improved considerably so that while software synthesisers do require resources, they aren't keeping you from doing what you need to do. At the moment, I'm using a Dec-talk express. The primary reason is of course that I don't want to tie up my sound card in order to facilitate my screen access. But my processor is only a 533 Mhz and I'm only running 128 Mb with XP. I suspect I will retire the Dec-talk Express when I move to a new machine. Sound cards are cheap enough that I can easily afford a second sound card in the newer machine which will facilitate screen access without restricting what I do with the other sound card. I'll hang on to the Dec-talk express then, though probably only because I am not fond of throwing away anything that has served me well. When new, it cost $1,000 and though it still works fine, I doubt I could get more than $50 for it on the used market.

Lately, been reading In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson on my bookport. You can find this book at Audible. It is equally entertaining and informatively written. Having it read by the author is a nice bonus.

Cheers,
Dave